Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pitchers and catchers arrive in Clearwater.

While some lucky bastards are out getting dressed up for Valentine’s Day dinner, the rest of us are sitting in the library doing homework – or, more aptly, starting a Phillies blog.

Today, pitchers and catchers for the 2011 Philadelphia Phillies report to Clearwater, FL.  If you’re a Phillies fan, it’s impossible to not be looking forward to the 2011 season right now – and let’s admit it, the postseason as well.  With a line-up that no one can stop talking about – including Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Roy Oswalt and Cliff Lee, it feels like the only thing in our way this year is injury.  With Blanton starring as number five, the Phillies have what many are calling the best rotation in baseball.  Actually, I’m not being cocky – it is the best rotation in baseball.  And though our starters definitely have the biggest spotlight shining on them right now, there’s no reason to forget about our closers.  Though not the most consistent bunch, Romero, Madson and Lidge are almost as familiar as the starting lineup – and who can forget Lidge’s perfect season in 2008?  At the end of last season, we saw a taste of that again, which can only bode well for this season.

And we can’t forget about the catchers.  In his no-hitter last May, Halladay talked more about Chooch than himself.  These guys have proved to be more than capable in the past.

With the position players arriving in Clearwater February 18, it’s no secret that every Philadelphia fan is itching for spring.  So here’s to a great 2011 season and the arrival of spring.  GO PHILLIES!

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% - woke up so happy that it was pitchers and catchers day. Can't wait for Spring! Last week (Feb 4) was National Wear Red Day and the only red I had in my closet was Phillies shirts!!! Have to say I'm gonna miss the right field eye candy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too agree 100% - I have never been a faithful watcher of sports but I can tell you I am jumping on the bandwagon and catching what I believe is going to be an awesome and very exciting 2011 Baseball Season so buy me some peanuts and cracker jack, I don't care if I never get back, Let me root, root, root for the home team....come on Spring and Let's Go Phillies!

    ReplyDelete